The main purposes of the Transcona Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) are to revitalize and maintain a dynamic local neighbourhood as well as promote the area of business as a shopping destination.
Revitalization and maintenance create a cleaner, safer neighbourhood that benefits all local businesses. Professional service providers such as doctors, lawyers, or accountants benefit from an improved local atmosphere for their clientele. The same is true for entertainment and dining establishments which benefit from the local traffic and improved atmosphere.
However, it doesn’t stop at just beautification and revitalization. The BIZ develops a network of relationships and partnerships among local community groups, such as churches, schools, citizen groups, etc.
Revitalization and maintenance often includes defining an identity for the local community. This identity could be used as a means to further promote the local community as an interesting and unique business area.
A BIZ is involved in numerous activities, which often include:
- Safety – helping work toward a safer shopping environment by utilizing tools that all businesses can use to make the shopping area safer.
- Marketing – Understanding who area customers are and creating effective promotions to retain and expand the customer base.
- Business Recruitment – Working with property owners to help Streetscape Improvement and Other Amenities – Providing customer friendly lighting, signage, street furniture, planters, banners, public art and murals.
- Seasonal Decorations – Creating a unique and pleasant environment for customers and staff of all businesses, retail and non-retail, through the use of decorations that are appropriate for the season and the holiday.
- Special Events – Organizing and partnering in special events that highlight unique attributes of the area and increase customer visits.
- Anti-Graffiti – Through the quick and efficient removal of graffiti, the businesses maintain their clean and well-kept look. When graffiti is removed quickly, graffiti becomes less of a problem.
Property owners and non-retailers also benefit from the BIZ as the improvements help create and sustain a more vibrant and viable economic environment within the local area. This attracts both commercial and service sector businesses to the area that, in turn, leads to an increased demand for retail and office space, and potential for a subsequent increase in property values.